This is a book for realization and exploring the truth about the questions we wonder about every day. Elizabeth Gilbert is the author of the book, which is so flourishing for the mindset and soul of the body. In all honesty, I heard a lot of people were reading this book and I was 50/50 about reading it. But in the leap of the moment, I went to the bookstore in my town called Coles and picked up the book. It toke me a while to get into because my mindset has been overall the place, so once I started taking care of my mindset correctly, it became easier to read and understanding the truth and meaning of Big Magic. This book definitely has opened my mindset and eyes in a way it has helped me with content ideas for Nomad Adventures, how I view life, how I live my relationships with friends and family, and so much. As I read the book, I bent the corner of the page down where there was a phrase that resituated with me. I find this helps with you every read the book or pass the book to a friend or family member. Do they resituate with the thing or something completely different? So after reading, these are a couple or even several things I have learned. I will tell you what chapters and phrases I drifted towards, then explain why I drifted towards them.
Creative Living Defined
- The central question, creative living hinges: Do you have the courage to bring forth the treasure that is hidden with you?
(Courage is something we all have to dig deep, like deep with us to figure what will truly bring out that courage. In order for it to show its truest form, there must be a life-changing moment in order for you to start showing the courage that you have deep within you.)
An Amplified Existence
- Living a life that is driven more strongly by curiosity than by fear.
- Paths and outcomes of creative living will vary wildly from person to person.
- A creative life, an expanded life, and a hell of a lot more interesting life.
(Yes, fear will always be present in our everyday life, but it’s up to you to control it. As long as you control that fear, creative living will be gifted to you. You will be able to create the content you want to show and have a voice in.)
The Fear You Need and the Fear You Don’t Need
- Creativity is a path for the brave, yes, but it is not a path for the fearless, and it’s important to recognize the distinction.
(Being brave is about not letting those negative influences and people to bring you down. Creating content is a brave thing to do because it’s work and voice that is out there for the world to see.)
The Road Trip
- Fear and creativity shared a womb, they were born at the same time.
- You’re allowed to have a seat, and you’re allowed to have a voice, but you are not allowed to have a vote.
(Fear and creativity have been with you since day one you entered this world. That is so special because we were gifted to learn and accept these in a way of yin and yang. As we grow, each individual will learn and accept these two in their own way that is unique to them and them alone.)
- … believe that inspiration will always try its best to work with you – but if you are not ready or available, it may indeed choose to leave you and to search for a different human collaborator.
(When we create content, we add our own unique twist on it to make it ours. Yes, there will be content that will be similar to our but we all have a different view on that content topic. People will always agree and disagree with what you say and put out there, and that is okay.)
Hard Labor vs. Fairy Dust
- … believe we are all capable at times of brushing up against a sense of mystery and inspiration in our lives.
(Mystery is the best time of experience we can have in life. Without it, where will we get our creativity from? The mystery is every single piece of content we create. That mystery is what the content creator was thinking, feeling, and going through when they created the art that you see.)
Let It Come and Go
- … that exhilarating encounter between a human being and divine creative inspiration – is that you cannot expect it to be there for you all the time. It will come and go, you must let it come and go.
(Content ideas come and go. Not every piece of content you create doesn’t make it to the live screen. Why? It’s because that content piece didn’t flow with the message the creator is wanting to show and doesn’t said like their voice. Every content creator has a voice that will stand out differently. Some we can relate to and others we can’t.)
Your Permission Slip
- You do not need anybody’s permission to live a creative life.
(Your content is your art. Every art is beautiful and vibrant. Content is everything when living a creative life. The creative life is spreading your message and your life journey. Don’t let anyone stop you.)
The Shit Sandwich
- Asking you the question: What is on your shit sandwich?
(a shit sandwich is when things aren’t going your way, things keep going wrong, plans get canceled, etc.)
Have an Affair
- Why do people persist in creating…?
(We persist in creating art because it’s part of our human nature. We were given the ability to express ourselves in a way that it does define who we are as an individual.)
Tristram Shandy Chimes In
- … try to present yourself to your creativity as if you are sexy – as if you are somebody worth spending time.
(You are with yourself 24/7 and you will never be able to escape that. You are the capsule for your creative soul. So love and nurture it each and every single day.)
Marcus Aurelius Chimes In
- … questions that we all must work through in our lives: Why am I here? What have I been called to do? How am I getting in my own way? How can I best live out my destiny?
Career vs. Vocation
- But creative living can be an amazing vocation if you have the love and courage and persistence to see it that way.
(Every vocation that each one of us creates is unique and different. Each of us experiences and sees things differently in order for us to express our own piece of art in content form.)
Addicted to suffering
- “The feelings of desperation and unhappiness are more useful to an artist than the feeling of contentment because desperation and unhappiness stretch your whole sensibility.”
(The darkness is the light to each individual’s creativity. And that is powerful alone. Each individual will have dark and light times, and that will light the spark to inspire new forms of art.)
- Inspiration is always trying to work with me.
(Inspiration comes to all forms. Those forms allow us to create art and content. The art and content allow people to view our strength that we have a voice. A voice of expression.)
Choose Your Delusion
- The work wants to be made, and it wants to be made through you.
(Creativity flows through us naturally, even if you don’t realize it. Creativity is the art that we humans were given. To module it into something beautiful.)
It Ain’t Your Baby
- Your creative work is not your baby; if anything, you are its baby
(When you start out as a “baby” you are learning how to find your voice and how to walk. As you grow, your voice because louder as you walk on your journey through life. You are molded through your creativity and the art of content.)
I hope you give this book a read because it has helped in some areas of self-growth and realization.